Renters insurance protects rental properties financially from damage and theft. If you rental property is damaged from a fire or a hurricane, your insurance carrier will cover the costs to rebuild your home. It also covers any medical expenses in case someone is injured on your property and they try to sue you.
However, renters insurance does not cover bed bugs. It normally does not cover any types of vermin, rodents, insects or birds.
Who is responsible for bed bugs in my rental?
If you are renting a property your landlord/owner could be responsible to to get rid of the infestation. This might be different depending on the state you live in. Currently 21 states by some level of law require that your landlord take care of a bed bug infestation.
What should you do if you have bed bugs?
If you know you have bed bugs, the first thing you should do is to start cleaning the place immediately. Start by washing your beddings and linens in hot water and dry them in the hottest setting available.
Vacuum your bed and surroundings as well. Continue vacuuming as often as possible. Make sure to also remove any clutter you might have around the room.
While some of the steps can remove some or prevent any new bed bugs from coming, they might not remove your entire infestation. You are going to want to look at local exterminators as well. They can eliminate the bed bugs using chemicals. You can also purchase a new mattress, but make sure you have rid of bed bugs completely from your home.
How to prevent bed bugs
- If you are purchasing second hand furniture, you want to check for any signs of bed bugs before bringing things home.
- Reducing clutter in your house can help as they are hiding places for bed bugs
- If you are using a shared laundry take your cloths in plastic bags. When you are done washing your cloths, remove them from the dryer and place them right into your bags to take home and fold.
- Vacuum as often as you can to remove any bed bugs.
- Use a protective cover for your bed mattress.
Inspect your mattress from time to time for signs of bed bugs. Check other furniture around the house as well such as couches.